Skip to main content

Christmas Doll Advent Calendar

Our family has a holiday tradition of using an advent calendar to celebrate Christmas. It is typically candy but this year I thought we would try something different. I love making dolls and toys for my girls. Especially during this time of year, but it gets so hectic that we usually end up making them quickly and the project becomes stressful. So this is my plan for a wonderful experience, all the while building anticipation for their special handmade Christmas dolls.

1. First you will need a great, easy to follow, toy sewing pattern. 

These are some of my favorites....
My girls and I will be making the Beth Doll and the Baby Mermaid.

2. Read through the sewing pattern carefully and make a sewing plan.  

This is what I came up with, you are more than welcome to use it. My girls like to pick out their own fabrics, so I might have to adjust it as we move through the advent calendar.
Dec1 Receive bag #1 with doll picture inside describing what to do. 
(Hi Name of Child
Will you help create me? I will tell you what to do, each day you will receive another clue.) 
Dec2 Receive half instructions. Read through the instructions together.
Dec3 Receive other half of instructions. Read through the instructions together.
Dec4 Receive fabric for hair.
Dec5 Fabric for body
Dec6 Fabric for clothes
Dec7 Fabric for shoes
Dec8 Embroidery floss 
Dec9 Stuffing
Dec10 Cut out template and fabric.
Dec11 Sew arms and legs.
Dec12 Sew the head to the body.
Dec13 Pin the hair and sew it down. 
Dec14 Finish the braid and hair details. 
Dec15 Fill the arms and legs with stuffing.
Dec16 Pin and sew arms/ braid to the body.
Dec17 Sew the body together and turn right side out
Dec18 Stuff with polyfil, cut out a wool felt heart, kiss it and stuff it inside. 
Dec19 Place legs and mermaid fin into the bottom and stitch.
Dec20 Embroider the faces.
Dec21 Make doll clothes skirts, doll apron, etc..
Dec22 Name her, also make doll's birth certificate. 
Dec23 Make cookies for Santa.
Dec24 Read to her the story of Christmas.  
Dec25 Merry Christmas!
I know these dolls will be their favorites even through all of the Christmas hullabaloo. 

3. Number the advent calendar bags. 

I used brown lunch bags and a red sharpie. You could be fancier with the wrapping.

I bought the red beaded garland from Target and I am going to hang the bags onto it with clothes pins.

4. Fill each bag with a new clue to make the doll or toy. For example Day 1-9 fill with the materials needed for the doll.

Dec 6; Doll clothes.
For days 10-25 place notecards inside to tell them what to do next. This is great for kids who are just learning how to read. 

5. Once you are done, place the bags in a visible place so they will remember to open it and create their Christmas doll.

Please let me know if you use this idea! I can't wait to get started!
Best wishes and tons of stitches!

Comments

Sara G said…
This is such an AWESOME idea! I just ordered my doll pattern from etsy and am so excited to start! Not sure who will enjoy this more, me or the 5 year old. :)

Sara
marlasmama said…
This is a great idea! I love it! I have making my daughter and her friends dolls, but this would be a GREAT idea to get her to help me out and for her to start sewing --is 5 too young? :) I can't wait!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials: 1/4 yard of Lycra or  5T or larger old swimsuit Thread Stretch Needle (helps) Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions Print the PDF patterns pieces out and tape them together. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 1: Cutting Layout-  Place the templates over the fabric and cut. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2:   Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick.   Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy.   Set aside. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Bodice   Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring  4.5” X1.5” or use template. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the  short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam a

How to Line an A-Line Skirt Tutorial

 After you find an A-line skirt pattern , I am using  One Yard Wonders 101  template . Make a muslin of your skirt! It only takes a few minutes to make a muslin version. Just baste stitch the side seams and make adjustments for your hips. Once your template is right you can make all the skirts your heart desires, so it is important to get the perfect fit first. Now we are ready to cut the "good" fabric and sew! ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Flip the skirt right side out and put it on!! You are done!! It is super easy and your new skirt will look store made.  Plus there is no hand stitching the lining to the main fabric. If you have any questions please comment below or email me at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com .  WooHooo!! A-Line Skirt Pattern Finds

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later. We used a 1.5