Skip to main content

Ironing Board Slipcover Tutorial

ScreenShot2011-07-30at10.23.08PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
If you are a little like me you have a few areas in your sewing space that are not pretty.
One of mine is the ironing board. I fuse and iron so much that it gets terrible stains all over it.
In order to make it pretty I made a simple slipcover to hide the yucky stains.
Materials:
2 yards of any fabric (This fabric is Alexander Henry, Sew Much Fun, Mocha. I found it at Fabric Worm!!) , 2 yards, will honestly make two but you need the length. I made a second cover for my Mom. You could always make a second one for a friend!
4 yards of ribbon
ScreenShot2011-07-30at10.03.53PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
My original cover has an elastic binding so I left that on and used the ironing board itself. I added 4” from the edge of the board.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at9.21.22PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
If you do not have a serger you can zig zag stitch over the edge or even turn the raw edge over 1/4” and then a full 1” (step 5).
ScreenShot2011-07-30at9.45.30PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
I am using a button hole foot on my new machine. This is at the base of the ironing board cover.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at9.45.44PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
Be careful not to cut the stitching.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at9.45.57PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
Pin all around the circumference of the slip cover.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at9.46.14PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
Using a 5/8” or larger seam allowance. Remember you have to feed the ribbon through it.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at10.07.01PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
I used ribbon because it was what I had on hand. If you have cord or elastic those would both be great substitutes.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at10.07.15PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
This is what it starts to look like as the ribbon is pushed through the binding.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at10.07.28PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
This is my favorite shot, I am not sure why.
ScreenShot2011-07-30at10.22.54PM-2011-08-2-11-30.png
Yeah! It is pretty again and it matches my pick iron! Now it is your turn. Make your own ironing board cover and add it to the "your Sew Spoiled Projects" Flickr group. We would love to see your new ironing covers and other Sew Spoiled projects completed.
Happy Sewing!

Comments

Georgi said…
Thanks, Leah! My ironing board cover is a "hot mess" from all the use it gets. :) So at least now I know how to make it pretty!
Twins Squared said…
I love this! Thanks for the tutorial. That fabric is perfect too.

P.S. Random question, have you heard?

Thanks,
Charity
twins-squaed (at) hotmail (dot) com
Zoe said…
Love this- so cute! I just got a new iron, don't love the cover, so i may have to do this!
This is so stinkin' cute! Thanks for posting the tutorial. I'm gonna feature you on Friday!
Ginger said…
Love the fabric you choose!
celkalee said…
thanks for this. I am trying to catch up on my favorite blogs and yours always inspires me. I have an over-the-door ironing board in my cutting room (optimistic description, it is the corner of husbands office right now, but I try to remain optimistic) that has lost its cover do due wear and tear. I need to replace it and you have given me a great idea. Love, love, love your fabric choice!
celkalee said…
I wanted to add a little tip, I have finally learned to protect my ironing board cover with a muslin sleeve. I sometimes heavily starch items, fuse others, and use high heat for pressing heavy fabrics. I made a muslin sleeve that just wraps around the center of the board and pin it on. For the new cover I will make a nicer one, perhaps with little buttons!
Sew Spoiled said…
I am glad you like this tutorial. Thank you for the linky love! I love the idea with a muslin sleeve! Brilliant!
candaceandpaul said…
How much to make me one ?? ;)
I don't know how to sew :(
Let me know...
Candaceandpaul@msn.com

Thanks!!
Candace
Thanks so much for such an easy to follow tutorial! I just whipped up my new cover in 20 mins, and my ironing looks new again!! I have passed your tutorial link onto my sewing forum!

Thanks again hun!!
question...I'm assuming the buttonholes were to thread the ribbon through, right?
Thanks
Karla
Sew Spoiled said…
Yes that is right!
Leah
SACÄ°DE said…
Nereden alıyorsunuz.Sevgiler bıraktım.Leah Yaptığınız işler çok güzel.Bu güzel kumaşları
Dana Kowalski said…
Just made this cover for my very old wooden ironing board that was my husbands grandmothers. It looks great! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!
Marilyn Brandon said…
When choosing your fabric for this project, be sure to choose a cotton or other material that can withstand the very high temperatures of the iron. I recently purchased two ironing board covers on the cheap at a Dollar Tree. Got them home and the first time I used one of them, i burned a hole through the fabric and into my ironing board pad. My iron was set for cotton, but the cover was obviously polyester. Synthetic fabrics do NOT make good ironing board covers.
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for this easy tutorial! I have a tabletop board and the cover is full of holes(was one of those not cotton!)...making one tomorrow. Eva
Helsiki said…
This is a really useful blog. I really enjoyed reading this blog. It was well explained and structured with perfection. It helps everyone to know more about it. If anyone is looking for the best ironing board Visit Venace online shop.

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials: 1/4 yard of Lycra or  5T or larger old swimsuit Thread Stretch Needle (helps) Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions Print the PDF patterns pieces out and tape them together. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 1: Cutting Layout-  Place the templates over the fabric and cut. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2:   Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick.   Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy.   Set aside. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Bodice   Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring  4.5” X1.5” or use template. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the  short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam a

How to Line an A-Line Skirt Tutorial

 After you find an A-line skirt pattern , I am using  One Yard Wonders 101  template . Make a muslin of your skirt! It only takes a few minutes to make a muslin version. Just baste stitch the side seams and make adjustments for your hips. Once your template is right you can make all the skirts your heart desires, so it is important to get the perfect fit first. Now we are ready to cut the "good" fabric and sew! ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Flip the skirt right side out and put it on!! You are done!! It is super easy and your new skirt will look store made.  Plus there is no hand stitching the lining to the main fabric. If you have any questions please comment below or email me at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com .  WooHooo!! A-Line Skirt Pattern Finds

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later. We used a 1.5